Sunday, October 17, 2004

Blogging for Business

Blogs have become popular not only with teeny-boppers, but also with corporate honchos:
http://businessweek.com/technology/content/aug2004/tc2004089_3601_tc024.htm

When I first heard of blogs, I thought they were a very funny thing. I kept wondering, "Why don't they just update their webpage?" And I assumed that blogs were kept by people who "want to be heard", but usually don't have very much affect during their day. When we were required to have a blog in our class, I must admit that this seemed like a rather silly request to me. But after reading this article, reading several blogs from people from different walks of life, and creating my own blog, I have begun to see the benefits of the blog and why even corporate head honchos could want one.

Connectedness Brings Trust (Nonmarket Environment)
After reading several people's blogs, it is shocking how connected I feel with them. I first thought that I would only feel connected because people are sharing their inner-most feelings, and that I would feel as if I were reading their diary. But this is not the case. People are really writing to be read, by anyone. They are happy to share with me. And most importantly they seem like a real person to me. Even if for just a short moment, I become invested in what they are talking about. In the corporate world, this can have amazing effects. Take for example, the blog of Jonathan Schwartz http://blogs.sun.com/jonathan, he provides us with mostly updates on the company, but because it is a blog, he adds small interesting facts of his life. Without these facts, his blog would read like one big ad, but instead, it is an interesting insight into the life of one person at Sun. The blog almost allows us to become on intimate terms with Jonathan; we know he likes kangaroo meat and shiraz. Because people have more faith in their friends and acquaintances than strangers, the blog somehow gives us more faith in Jonathan, and thus what he says about the company. The blog is a fantastic tool for building public trust, and thus positively affecting the nonmarket enviroment.

Other Benefits:
I have noticed other benefits to blogs lately as well:

  • There seem to be many anonymous blogs. Blogs seem to be a wonderful way of getting out pent up emotion when there is no one else to share it with. I found a blog about someone coming out of the closet in the South and the emotions that it is bringing up for his family. He has found a lot of support from other bloggers. (Before then, I had not seen an anonymous blog.)
  • Updating a blog is MUCH easier than updating a webpage, and I update them constantly!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home